Summer Schedule for the Kids
We are half way through the summer and I am counting the days until school starts again. Having both kids here all day every day is more than enough “fun” but add in the dogs and we have our very own three ring circus.
I found that most days the kids were eating their way through the day while watching hours and hours of television. On top of that, they were just moving from one thing to the next getting into trouble. I was stressed, they were stressed and I knew I couldn’t last the summer with the way things were.
While looking on Pinterest one night I stumbled into a few different daily schedules and the light bulb went off…this is exactly what we needed! So I got to work and scheduled out a plan for our day as well as meals and snacks for the week. We started the following Monday and never looked back.
The kids LOVE the schedule and took to it right away. The best part is that I snuck some daily chores into the routine as well. Now that the kids have memorized the schedule they do most of the tasks without me having to remind them or move them along.
I didn’t realize how much money I was spending on juice and snacks until we had them scheduled out. The kids were mindlessly snacking and it was breaking the bank!
Here is what our daily schedule looks like:
- 7-7:30 Wake-up/Watch Alfred the Hedgehog
- 7:30-8:15 Breakfast
- 8:15-9:00 Get dressed/Brush Teeth/Make Beds/Open Curtains/Start Laundry
- 9:00-10:00 Play time with Mom (Trains, Barbies, Tea Party, Etc…)
- 10:00-10:30 Morning Snack
- 10:30-11:30 Change Laundry/Outside Play (scooters, chalk, catch, flower picking…)
- 11:30-12:30 Lunch
- 12:30-1:30 Arts and Crafts
- 1:30-2:30 TV/LeapPad Time
- 2:30-3:00 Full House Clean up (Sweep, arrange shoes, put away toys, dust, windows…)
- 3:00-4:00 Read with Mom
- 4:00-5:00 Free Play time (Play in rooms, tv, LeapPad, coloring…)
- 5:00 Start Dinner (Kids set the table)
We of course have summer activities and events that come up but for our days at home, this is the schedule we follow. It has changed our home from a hectic circus to a calm flowing home that everyone enjoys. I don’t schedule the night time because of course once Mr. M2C comes home, all bets are off!
Do you have a schedule for your days? I would love for you to share!